Excess Meter Charges
This function is used to set up excess charges and other charges based on the meter readings.
A common example would be: a vehicle is configured as a hire item, with a daily charge of $200, but if the customer exceeds 400Km usage the excess meter charge will kick in, so a vehicle returned with 500Km usage, would be 100Km excess charge.
How to setup a meter excess charge unit
- Create a Selling Unit for the excess charge, to do this go to Setup > Item related > Selling Units.
- Click 'New Selling Unit'.
- Enter in a easily identified name in the Unit description field such as “100KM Excess”, then go to the “metered” tab.
- In the “Metered” Tab, tick the “Meter Unit?” box, and enter the meter excess value, this will be the value that will define when to start charging the excess.
- Click “Save changes”.
How to set up a meter excess charge item
- Go to Setup > Items > New Item.
- Give the item an easily identified Description & Code
- Assign an Item Type.
- Tick the “Non-Stock” checkbox.
- Go to the “Prices” tab and select the Excess unit you just created.
- Enter a Sell Inc or Ex value, which is how much will be charged per KM over the excess value.
- Go to the “Other” Tab, then make sure the “Metred” box is checked.
- Click “Save changes”.
How to set up the metered vehicle item
- Now you need to configure the metered item (in this example we will call it “Vehicle”).
- Go to Setup > Items > New item.
- Fill in the Description and Code fields as desired.
- Assign an item type.
- Go to the “Prices” tab, and assign a Time based unit (E.g, daily, weekly) and define a price.
- Go to the “Other” tab, and tick the “Metered” checkbox.
- Click 'Save Changes'.
Setting up an invoice with the excess charge
- After creating a new invoice, add the metered “Vehicle” item you created in the last section, then add the Meter excess charge item configured above.
- When the Meter Readings window pops up, enter the starting Meter Reading on the “Vehicle” item, and use the dropdown next to it to copy Meter Reading to the Excess charge item.
- When the “Vehicle” item is returned, fill in the “Meter To” reading, and once again, use the dropdown to copy the meter reading over to the excess item.
- If done correctly, your excess charge item should charge for 100 units, in the case of a meter usage of 500Kms, and the excess configured at 400Kms.