Meter Readings (Overview)
If you have any of your items that are charged based on usage, or need to be serviced after a set amount of usage,
You can set your items as a Metered item.
Setting an item as a Metered Item
- Go to Setup > Items > Edit Item
- Click the Configuration section below
- Tick the Metered checkbox.
What does this do?
Once an item is flagged as a Metered item when it's dispatched it will prompt you with a blue popup on the sales record screen to enter in a Metered From if one does not exist.
On return, you will also get a prompt to fill in a Metered To.
Recording Meter Readings on the Booking/Invoice Screen
When you are working with a Sales Record (Quote, Booking, Invoice), and you add a Metered Item, you have the option to specify the Meter From (the meter reading at the time of dispatch) and the Meter To (recorded on return).
You can also use the Use Last Meter Reading button in the Meter Readings screen to populate the Meter From with the last known meter reading (from the previous return, for example)
There is a key difference between creating a booking for the future and an invoice that is being dispatched on the spot: The item in question may go out on other hires before it goes out on this one.
Starting with a Booking (Future Hire)
When you create a new booking and put a Metered Item on it, HirePOS will not automatically pre-fill the Metered From field, as there is every chance that the item will get used between the creation of the booking and the dispatch of the item.
As you prepare to dispatch the item, you can use the Use Last Meter Reading button in the Meter Readings screen as above.
Starting with an Invoice (Dispatching Now)
If a customer walks in and wants to take a metered item 'now', you can skip the booking phase entirely, and go straight to Invoice.
If you do this, HirePOS will automatically pre-fill the Meter From field for you, based on the last known meter reading.
This also allows you to setup charges based on the meter reading.
- To do this, you'll need to create a new Selling Unit, then click into the Metered tab.
- Tick the Meter unit checkbox.
- After you've created the new selling unit, you'll then need to edit your metered item and go to the Rates/prices tab, add the new metered unit and specify a charge per meter unit.
- Add this item to an invoice, once it's been returned, you'll get a prompt to fill in the Metered To.
- To get HirePOS to Autocalc your charge unit, you will need to click on the Meter readings option above the item lines.
- Then, verify your Meter from and Meter To is correct.
- click on the Copy meter usage to dropdown, and select the metered item in that dropdown. This will copy the usage into the "Charge" column.
- Click save changes, and your item will autocalc based on your Selling Unit settings.
Minimum Meter Charge
You can also specify a minimum meter charge by editing the selling unit you created earlier, going into the Metered tab, then specifying a Meter Minimum this will cause HirePOS to charge this amount as a minimum, regardless of usage.
Excess Meter Charges
Excess charges mean that HirePOS won't charge for the meter reading until it gets past the excess value.
It requires a bit more setup, so we recommend having a look at this Help doc.
You can also schedule in maintenance records based on meter readings, so this is useful for machinery or vehicles that need to be services after a set amount of hours or Kilometres.
See this help doc for more info.