The purpose of Invoice Categories is to allow you to group invoices for sales reporting purposes. This feature is commonly used for event hire, where by invoices are categorised as weddings, corporate events, private parties, etc. The Sales by Invoice Category reports enable you to monitor how various areas of your business are performing.
How to add an Invoice Category
- From the main menu strip at the top, go to Setup > Invoice Categories.
- Click the 'New Invoice Category' button to add a new category.
- Enter a name for the category, then click Save New.
How to link an Invoice Category to an Invoice
- For invoice category reports to be meaningful, you need to enforce the invoice category to be selected on invoices as a requirement. To do so, go to Setup > Preferences > Restrictions, and check the 'Invoice category required for invoices' checkbox option, then click Save Changes.
- On the invoice page an "Invoice Category" dropdown will appear below the customer details section to allow you to select a category. You cannot create a sales record of any type without selecting a category.