Purchase Orders can be accessed via Expenses > Purchase orders. From here you can find and edit existing records. Note: In Purchase Orders, items will use the Supplier Code rather than the standard Item Code.
How to create a new Purchase Order
You can either click New Order or New Quote to generate a new record. This can be changed later within the Purchase Order screen, within the Status field on the top right.
- Select the Supplier the goods are to be ordered from.
- Ensure the Order Date is correct on the right side of the screen, which defaults to today.
- Much like the invoice screen, you can select line items to be purchased, including Qty, and Price. (Items will use the Cost Price if applicable).
Adding Items with BarcodesTo scan barcodes directly onto the PO, simply click the Header of the Code Column (The word Code in the top left of the item lines section). This will open the barcode popup, the same as it does on the invoice screen.
- Save the Purchase Order when completed, this will take you back to the Purchase Orders list.
- At this stage, the Purchase Order you created will remain in the Awaiting status until received.
How to receive a Purchase Order
When an item is received, you will need to do the following:
- Click the Receive Order button on the right side of the screen.
This will take you to the Receive Orders screen, where all awaiting items are listed.
- Tick the checkboxes next to the Qty Received to mark the items as received.
Or alternatively enter the Qty Received if the quantity of goods have not been received in full.
The balance of items not received will show in the Back Order column.
- For back orders, you can either enter the Date/Time Expected line for line via Show Line Details, or at the top right of the screen if the same date/time expected applies to all back ordered items.
- Enter the supplier Delivery Docket number and Supplier Invoice number if this information is available.
- Click Receive Items to mark the items as received and return to the Purchase Order.
Received items will show as Received in the Status column, and any back ordered items will be copied to a new line and show the status as Awaiting.
You can also click the Show Line Details link at the top left of the line items grid to expand open the lines and show the details for each item line, including the following fields:
- Date Expected
- Date Received
- Delivery Docket #
- Supplier Invoice #
- Version number.
If you still have some back ordered or awaiting items, your purchase order is considered Partial within the Purchase Order list.
Each item has it's own Supplier invoice and Delivery docket # fields, because you may have multiple invoices or dockets related to the Purchase order.
Additionally, the Version number field denotes what version of the purchase order the item was received under.
Foreign Currency & Exchanges Rates
Purchase Orders can be created for different currencies when ordering from overseas suppliers. In the Purchase Order screen, populate the Foreign Currency field located just below the Customer Invoice dropdown with a 3 character currency code. You can click the arrow to the right of the field to open the https://www.xe.com/ website and obtain the relevant currency code. Once a currency code is entered the Exchange Rate field will become visible. Entering an Exchange Rate will calculate the Purchase Order value in your local currency, and this will display just below the TOTAL field at the bottom right. The Purchase Order Preview (PDF) will also show the currency code.