Send Emails via Microsoft Office 365
Using HirePOS to send emails via your Office 365 account can be very beneficial, it will reduce the chances of emails going into Spam drastically, and sent emails will appear directly in Outlooks "Sent" box.
Setting up HirePOS to use Office365
- Navigate to Setup > Preferences > Email Templates & Settings
- Press the Edit cog link to the right of the From Address
- Select either Main Business Email or Other Business Email Address from the first set of options
Important: You will only be able to send from an address that has "send as" permissions in the Office 365 account you are adding.
- In the case of Other Business Email Address be sure to set an address that has "send as" permissions enabled for the Office 365 account you are planning to add. (by default, the only address you are able to send as on an office 365 account is the actual address of the account)
- Below the email address field on this screen, select the option Your SMTP Server
- Press the SMTP Settings button
The SMTP Settings Page
- Enter your SMTP Username. In the case of an Office 365 account, this will typically be your Office 365 email address.
- Enter your SMTP Password. This is the same password you would use to log into outlook online or your office 365 portal with the above username.
- Enter the SMTP Server. This is typically
smtp.office365.comfor Office 365 accounts.
- Enter the SMTP Port. This is typically
587for Office 365
- Select Use SSL
- If you have a secondary account you wish to add, press Add Another SMTP Account, and repeat the above
- Press Save Changes
Testing if it worked
- After saving, navigate to CRM > Send Email (or attempt to email a booking or invoice to yourself)
- Ensure the From: address is set as the email address you have just set up
- Enter your own email address or the address of another inbox you have access to in the To: field
- Add a subject like
- Add some body test like
- Press Send
- Give it a couple of minutes, and check the sender information on the email you should have received in your inbox.
It didn't work...
I got an error
The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.57 SMTP; Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM ...
An error mentioning "Timeout"
An error mentioning "SSL" "TLS" or "STARTTLS"
Other common causes of the above errors, or other errors
It never arrived
- Give it a couple more minutes... sometimes emails are slow.
- Check the junk / spam folder in the planned recipients email account
- Ensure that all addresses have been entered properly
- Contact your IT department to see if it has been caught up in their filters before it got delivered
Limitations of using your own SMTP server
The main limitation of this method, is HirePOS can only use two different emails to send out, Unless your email account has permissions to "Send as" a different account in the same domain. More info on this is available on this Microsoft article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/authenticated-client-smtp-submission
Connecting your own SMTP server is far from the only option available for setting up spam free email with your branding on them. Consider authenticating your domain with HirePOS (giving HirePOS proper permission to pretend to be you when sending email).
Many people find that custom branding is less important than ensuring the mail absolutely arrives at its destination. If this sounds like you, consider using the in-built, ready to go, email@example.com option.