Barcode scanners can be utilised to scan in items and save manual data entry and user error. Items are scanned in a priority order of Barcode, Supplier Code, then Item Code. If no Barcode has been entered in the item setup then the Supplier Code is used, and if no Supplier Code then the Item Code is used.
For QR Codes, please refer to the QR Codes help doc.
Which Barcode scanners are Supported?
HirePOS supports any kind of "Keyboard wedge scanner" so as long as you have one of these, you'll be able to use all the functions below. A keyboard wedge scanner emulates the keyboard just as though you had manually typed in the barcode and then pressed the Enter key. Most barcode scanners work this way, so almost any brand of scanner can be used. An easy way to test this is to launch Notepad or a similar app, and scan a barcode. The barcode should be populated into Notepad, and the cursor will drop down to the next line.
How to set up barcodes for items
- From the main menu strip at the top, go to Setup > Items.
- Click an item to edit, which opens the item details screen.
- Click the Stock Control tab.
- Enter a Barcode, then click Save Changes.
How to print barcodes
- From the main menu strip at the top, go to Setup > Items,
- Click the Options button at the top right of the items list.
- Click Print Barcodes option from the dropdown. This will take you to the Item Barcodes screen.
- OR go to Setup > Items Related > Item Barcodes.
- In the Item Barcodes screen, you can either enter a numeric quantity in the Print Qty column to the right OR click the +/- buttons to set the quantity to be printed.Use the Sales or Hire tab to narrow your search to Hire or Non-Hire items.
If you select your items from the Sales Items Tab, you will get the Sales Item Barcode Template, which shows sell prices on it by default.
If you select your items from the All Items or Hire Items tab, you will get the Hire Item Barcode Template, which omits prices by default.
- Once you have set the quantities you require, click the Preview tab at the top right of the item list.
- Review the barcodes to be printed, then click Preview & Print Barcodes.
Customising Barcode Labels
There two separate default barcode label templates, one for Hire and one for Sales. The main different is that the Hire barcode labels do not have a price, where as the Sales barcodes do.
The standard barcode labels are only a starting point, and these barcode label templates are fully customisable to accommodate virtually every possible printer/paper configuration there is. We can configure the templates for either sheet or roll type printers, of any size. You just need to provide us with the specifications.
Please refer to the Custom Report Templates help doc for information on getting your templates customised.
For specific barcode label materials, e.g. coated labels, please speak with your barcode label supplier for recommendations on the best (and most cost effective) material to suit your needs.
How to use barcode labels for scanning
When in a sales record (booking/invoice etc) you can click the Code header located at the top left of the invoice line items. The Scan Barcode popup will appear. Now you can scan an item in and it will be added to the Invoice.
Codes can also be scanned for Purchase Orders via the Code column in the Purchase Order screen.